Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Amelia's very first surgery is coming up!

On Wednesday, our sweet Amelia will be having a minor surgery on both legs; a bilateral Achilles tenotomy.  This surgery will stretch the tendons in each leg in an effort to bring the feet up.  She will then be casted again immediately following the procedure for another couple weeks.  Her response to this part of the treatment then will determine how many more casts she will have to have. 

The plan was to have the surgery at the hospital, but because the doctors decided that the anesthesia would be too risky, they will be doing this in the office.  I am relieved because I was most worried about the anesthesia part of it, but on the other hand, I hope it's not more painful for Amelia.  Another reason they wanted to do it under anesthesia is because Amelia moves so much.  It sounds like they're pretty confident they'll have it under control, even if it takes more nurses to hold her down.  :(  The numbing will be similar to what you would get in the dentist's office if you have ever had a filling or any other type of procedure where they first numb it topically (applying the numbing cream to the area) and then give you a shot to numb it the rest of the way through.  So, asking for prayers on Wednesday that:

1.  She will respond well to this part of the process and surgery will be successful in correcting her club feet for now
2.  She will feel no pain or discomfort during the procedure
3.  That she will come out of the procedure itself with minimal pain over the next couple weeks, if any

Thank you again for ALL the prayers!  I have received so many messages letting me know they're already lifting us up in prayer for Wednesday.  It's so comforting and brings me to tears!  

Again, I promise to update you on Amelia's prognosis in the very near future!  I received a call from the genetics doctor last week that I want to update you on.  We are going to really need some prayers for upcoming appointments and tests, so I will do my best to update you on that very soon!

In fact, in the meantime, another prayer request would be for Elsie and Sam.  It seems to be taking it's toll on them lately, especially Elsie.  I know a newborn is an adjustment in itself, but the extra strain on all of us has been hard on them.  So prayers for them too would be very much appreciated! 

I am going to leave you with some verses that I didn't even realize were right in front of me while writing this post.  And, of course, the words are perfect and just what I need to hear from Isaiah 40:26-31.  Another AWESOME reminder that God is taking care of us!  He never ceases to amaze me!

26 Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens:
    Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one
    and calls forth each of them by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength,
    not one of them is missing!
 

27 Why do you complain, Jacob?
    Why do you say, Israel,
“My way is hidden from the Lord;
    my cause is disregarded by my God”?
28 Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,

    and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.








No comments: